Translate

Friday, May 23, 2014

Sophia: One "SHINING STAR" in Gina's World


OK, maybe it's shameless bragging, but it's time for this Mom to talk about one of her daily inspirations-- my daughter. I know this doesn't have all that much to do with "FITNESS & FASHION", but this is "GINA'S WORLD" after all, and in my world I can't NOT post about my nearly 13 year old Sophia, who, for those of you who get it, was actually born 30.

Now bear with me cuz this isn't entirely a "Sophia Commercial"-- it's actually on point in many ways. As I watch my daughter mature, I'm impressed by both her resilience as well as her work ethic and perseverance. This determined over achiever can sometimes be a perfectionist - which can be endearingly annoying- but there's a raw "Go Get It" spirit to her which frankly I admire.

I've seen it over and over; she's not afraid to fail, and failure doesn't break her. In fact, it motivates her! And this is the motivational tidbit I wanted to share with you today.

Sophia's my child and in her I see many of the same talents I was blessed with: intellect, agility, theatrical ability. But Soph has what I honestly didn't -- a certain FEARLESSNESS. She auditions or tries out for something, be it cheerleading, student council, or a theatrical part, and when she doesn't make it, she comes back even more determined, rather than hindered. This is no small feat. Even for adults, the confidence shaker of rejection can, if allowed, create lifelong obstacles. I'm sure rejection stings for my daughter too, but she feeds on the sting and lets it propel her forward with new resolve. It doesn't break her. It doesn't even slow her.

This fierceness has paid off, and that's inspirational. Now my soon to be 8th grader will go into the final year of middle school a varsity cheerleader, Secretary of her Junior Honor Society, a skilled dancer, and a singer who is ready to take on American Idol and the world!

Motivational Lesson: You have one life; LIVE IT. Time wasted is never recovered, and it is never tomorrow. It is always NOW. So, Carpe Diem, friends. Now, GO GET IT!

For your listening pleasure: Here's what power sounds like and why the Idol audition age should be lowered to 13! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment